Founded by William Hinchliffe Prior in the late 1940s, the practice originally operated from Thorne, near Doncaster. The majority of our early clients were from the farming community and the firm continues to act for a significant number of farmers in East and South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.
The client base now consists of sole traders, partnerships, limited liability partnerships and limited companies from a wide range of backgrounds, including the construction industry, property developers, the farming industry, the motor trade, public relations, and various manufacturing, retailing and service industries. In addition, the firm caters for clients from more specialised backgrounds, such as solicitors, estate agents and charities. Many of our current clients have been with the practice for more than 50 years!
Ian Prior joined his father in the practice in July 1953, when the firm operated from offices in Avenue Road, Doncaster, in addition to Thorne. In the 1970s the practice consolidated its offices into premises on South Parade, Doncaster.
John Park (Ian’s nephew and W.H. Prior’s grandson) commenced work with the firm in 1979 and qualified in 1986. Alex Prior (Ian’s son) joined the practice in 1988, before qualifying in 1996, and Nick Prior (also Ian’s son) joined in 1997, qualifying in 2001.
In April 2002, the firm relocated to purpose-built premises just off of White Rose Way, the link road to the M18 motorway, providing clients with easy access and parking facilities.